John Rumm

Default Dust Extraction for small workshop

PoP wrote:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/cyclone/

I used your design to create my first-ever cyclone earlier today.
First impressions very positive.

I made a minor design change during construction. I put a 90 degree
elbow thru the intake hole, then a short piece of 40mm pipe inside to
direct the airflow slightly upward and around the top of the dustbin.
This was instead of trying to cut a strange oval hole in the side of
the dustbin and then marrying up the 40mm pipe.

No idea if that has affected the performance at all, but so far so
good.

I have also read (since making my one) that you really want a long
straight run into the cyclone so that you get as little air turbulence
as possible. Not sure if your elbow would increase turbulence or not.
Chances are it will only affect the performance for collection of the
finest dust either way. Since you have a vacuum cleaner with fine dust
filtration built in, that is less of an issue than if you were relying
solely on the cyclone.

I may modify my one a little to extend the pipe into the bin an inch or
so - I have read that this change may improve fine dust collection.

Another mod that occurred to me was to introduce a second entrance pipe
of a different diameter (on the opposite side of the bin for example) -
hence you could support two different sized collection hoses (you would
need to put a bung in the one you are currently not using obviously ;-)
Not sure if the vac would be able to generate the air flow for a bigger
hose however....

--
Cheers,

John.