Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

"Joerg"
SparkyGuy wrote:
Phil Allison

Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square
foot or so...

Nope, only in higher-end legacy lab equipment. With legacy I mean 25
years old.

** Where does this jerk off get his weird ideas from ??

The laws of magnetics have not been repealed in the last 25 years.

ALL good quality scopes using CRTs have mu-metal shields.

Even ones made today.

On flat screen displays?

** I said **CRT ** - you ****ING IDIOT !!!!

Try learning to read sometime !!!

Note that he wrote he needs a square foot. I've only seen that much in
really old scopes. Newer CRT versions have a skinny shield right around
the CRT and that ain't going to be enough to harvest a complete sqft from.

** Cheap Asian made scopes usually have no mu-metal at all, just a tin plate
ES shield around the neck - so they are highly subject to external AC
fields.

More expensive Asian scopes ( ie 60 MHz and up) usually have a mu-metal
shield on the CRT.

Examine almost any European, US or Australian made scope and you will find
it has a full size mu-metal shield -excepting scopes employing PDA (Post
Deflection Acceleration) where the mag shielding is not needed near the tube
face.