Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

Phil Allison wrote:

"Joerg"

SparkyGuy wrote:

Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square
foot or so...

Nope, only in higher-end legacy lab equipment. With legacy I mean 25
years old.

** Where does this jerk off get his weird ideas from ??

The laws of magnetics have not been repealed in the last 25 years.

ALL good quality scopes using CRTs have mu-metal shields.

Even ones made today.

On flat screen displays? What for? Sorry, but that would be like
applying sun screen under the swimsuit.

Note that he wrote he needs a square foot. I've only seen that much in
really old scopes. Newer CRT versions have a skinny shield right around
the CRT and that ain't going to be enough to harvest a complete sqft from.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com