Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

SparkyGuy wrote:

Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square
foot or so...

Sparky

I have vague memories of hearing that if you bend it (or straighten it) then
it loses its special properties and needs to be re-annealed in some fancy
vacuum furnace thing or something like that. If you found a weird-shaped
piece of this stuff inside an old oscilloscope then I I'm not sure that you
could use it unless you needed it in exactly the shape that you found it
in.

There is a German place that sells little mu-metal boxes (cylindrical cans
actually):
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapH/H161260.asp
and here is some self-adhesive mu-metal foil:
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L210600.asp

Actually I suppose the existence of the mu-metal foil product brings into
question whether it really matters whether you bend the mu-metal. Perhaps
someone else knows for certain.

Chris