Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default WIRING BETWEEN THE JOISTS

On 11 Apr 2007 10:02:39 -0700, "G" wrote:

I am restoring a 200 year old stone farm house.
I'm at the electrical stage now.

You're in big trouble already. They didn't have an electric 200 years
ago. (I would think you would know that.)

But if you insist on having electricity, maybe you could take a look
at how other houses of the era, or even later, did it. I would think
even houses open to the public, open as museums, would let you look in
the basement if you asked nicely and said why. And they would all
meet code, I would think. Private home owners too would be happy to
show off the work they had done, or even paid to have donek, and would
probably answre truthfully if you asked if everything was to code. If
you had a particular question, some would probably just say "the code
may have changed", or "I relied on the electrician" rather than admit
they know something is done wrong.

Bring pictures of your house, with your family standing in front,
although I don't think code inspectors have to go to this amount of
trouble if they want to inspect.

I have the panel installed. Now I need to start running romex to
various locations in the cellar for the first and second floors.
The joists are a minimum of 6X8
The center beam is 14X14
Can I put the boxes on the bottom of the joists...or on the sides?
How do I run the wires? I know(now) I can't go from joist to joist
because of the "do not hang" clause.
And these joists are oak which makes drilling a real chore
I'm at a loss as to how to do this.

Can anyone suggest a DIY wiring book?
I may need a refresher.

Thanks..G