Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Nélio Abreu Nélio Abreu is offline

Default Creative 6.1 DTT2200 Speaker System faulty

This happens without touching the unit. I just turn it on, set the volume to
1/2 level or eaven to 1/4 level, initialy it plays Ok....but after a short
while, the sound goes down, like if I had turn the volume to minimum, it
stays low for a few seconds and then comes up, sometimes to the original
level, and sometimes to maximum (almost). When it starts doing this, it
continues to do without stoping. I don't need to touch it to happen....it
simply happens. If it are the capacitors, which ones ones should be causing
this?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 11, 11:46 am, Nélio Abreu wrote:
Nélio R. C. Abreu
Portugal

Hi there,

I have a Creative DTT2200 6.1 Sound system that I have bought a few years
ago. It have worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now during playback,
the sound goes up and down sudenly without touching the volume knob. I
have checked the main board and power supply, thinking the problem could
be located in one of the many electrolitic capacitors that might have been
damage (for example liking fluid out or with the top expanded) but no
capacitor is damaged. Does any one have a clue what the problem is?

Please post reply in this news or send me email to the above adress.

Thanks a lot.

Capacitors can fail without visible damage. But this "sounds" more
like an intermittent and/or aground problem. Try cleaning the controls
and looking hard at any interconnects. You also may have a cold-solder
somewhere. Can you make it happen by tapping the unit from various
angles, or shaking it, or tapping the controls or connections?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA