Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Dell SX260 Micro PC dead.

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:19:06 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone might point me to a common fault (with the PSU or
PC) and so I could fix it but failing that I'll see if I can find a
suitable std motherboard / case / psu and transfer all the good bits
over (after testing them elsewhere of course).

Any thoughts please?

Hi Clint and thanks for the prompt reply.

Motherboard, caps swollen up and failed.

Hmm, funny that .. I did (briefly) look at that yesterday and thought
I noticed some of the caps were bulging on the top and *maybe* a trace
of orange 'stuff' in the grooves?

Check the caps near the CPU
socket and the one near the ceramic resistor for signs of swelling on
the top and/or signs of electrolyte leakage in the pressed grooves on
the top.

Hmmm ;-)

V.Common fault on SX260 machines.

Ah, that's what I wanted to hear!

Contact Dell, don't mess with
it yourself, ask if they intend to do anything about it as it's only x
old and should last much longer than that, you might be surprised.

Ok, I'll get the owners to do as you suggest, thanks *very* much for
that Clint.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If Dell don't wanna play, is it something I can do myself
(changing the caps, I'm an electronics engineer) ie is it just the
caps or would there be other issues because of the caps do you know
please?