Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Light switch in bathroom

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:00:47 +0100, "Mike Smith"
mused:

Hi, currently the light in my bathroom is controlled
by a two-gang switch just outside the bathroom door
(the other half of the two-gang is the landing light)

I would like to move the bathroom light switch to
inside the bathroom -- in fact immediately the other
side of the wall to the existing switch would be fine.

Does anyone know of any single-pole switches that can
be installed in Zone 3? All I've been able to come
across is IPx4 rated switches for outdoor use (which
are too fugly for use indoors)

Regulation 601-08-01 does not
preclude the installation of such equipment in zone 3.
However, the general requirements of BS 7671 are
applicable to locations containing a bath or shower and
Regulation 512-06-01 calls for every item of equipment to
be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to
be used, or its mode of installation must take account of
the conditions likely to be encountered. A normal wallmounted
light switch and similar accessories may not
have a degree of Ingress Protection (IP) appropriate for
installation in zone 3 and would therefore not satisfy the
requirements of BS 7671. The requirements of BS 7671
may be met by:
• installing a wall-mounted light switch with an IP rating
suitable for its location, either in zone 3 or outside of
zones 0, 1, 2 and 3, or
• using a pull-cord switch complying with BS 3676 with
an IP rating suitable for its location. The body of the
switch must be installed outside of zones 0,1 and 2
but the pull cord itself is permitted to enter zones 1 or
2 providing it is of insulating material.

Basically, you can install a normal switch in zone 3 but apply some
common sense to it as well.

The "ideal" solution of fitting a pull cord switch
doesn't appear to be possible as I have no access to
the bathroom ceiling void (because there isn't one,
its a flat roof)

A professional would be able to get a pull switch in without requiring
access.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Another option may be a touch switch, where the switch operates
without any mechanical operation, just from you waving a finger\hand
in front of it.

--Mike

p.s. why it is acceptable to use a switch outside
the bathroom door with wet hands but not inside
is another question...

It is and it isn't, depends how you interpret the regs.
--
Regards,
Stuart.