Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Generator vs Mains

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:29:39 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

United Utilities are going to do some work here next week and plan to
replace my mains with a generator for a day.

Just your property or a number of neighbouring ones?

I suspect the latter, as to the generator I'd expect a containerised genny
in 6x4x12 foot box capable of producing upwards of 100kVA. Maybe even
bigger depending on the properties they are going to run from it. They
aren't going to bring an a £150 2kVA open frame site generator...

Nice aren't they?
Unless they stick it under your bedroom window and run it all night. The one
I had shoved under the bedroom window was like a "burger stall trailer" seen
on road laybys and then they ran extension leads down to the YE sub main in
my back garden. I guess it was the 11kV model.

Adam