Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian L Johnson Brian L Johnson is offline

Default Quality Toilet Cisterns

Andy Hall wrote

I haven't had the problems of lock up, although I agree that the button
is counter-intuitive.

On one set of logic, one might expect a large button for a large flush
and a small one for a small flush.

One might even expect them to be labeled with the numbers '1' and '2'
to represent the normal "granny's doughnut in the greenhouse" UK
euphemism.

In some that I've seen, they have non-language versions such as
~ and ~~ on equal-sized button, but the visual paradigm is the same:
if ~ is a certain size of flush then ~~ must be twice as much.

However, the product is Teutonic and the logic transcends British
sensibilities about sanitary installations. Remember that we don't
have inspection shelves in our ceramic products.

True. g

I called Grohe about this and to paraphrase, the response was as follows:

- The purpose of dual flush is to save water.

- For most purposes, a small flush is adequate. (Here they are
assuming that the quantity of UK number 1 exceeds quantity of UK number
2 bodily functions)

- Therefore, ergonomics and they objective dictates that the use should
be guided to use the flush option that will be used more often and
which will achieve the eco-objective.

They're using the paradigm: bigger button = most frequently used. I can
see that. Just. g

[quoted text muted]
1. By 'locked' I mean that after a flush, it has just kept on slowly
flushing and slowly filling at the same time. I've had to remove the
panel and joggle the float mechanism to get it to stop.

Did you check for plastic flash on the flush mechanism mouldings?

Yes, I've dismantled it (well, as far as one can) and the mechanism
seems fine. It's a very delicate piece of equipment, though. Lots of
finely engineered levers and hinges points. Or, to put it another way,
lots of places where a tiny amount of detritus could cause a problem.
It looks nowhere near as robust as a 'standard' flush mechanism and I
certainly don't expect it to last as long as any of my previous toilets.

In fact, do you remember the pictures I originally posted about this
button? URL= http://www.thejohnsons.co.uk/GroheButtons.jpg

Well, here's another photo taken today. Have a look at what's slowly
happening. URL= http://www.thejohnsons.co.uk/GroheButtons2.jpg

The upper, smaller button is now sticking out slightly more and the
lower, larger one is sinking in slightly more. The smaller button is
also acquiring groove marks along the top edge where it slides against
the locating ribs on the inside of the surrounding ring.

That's not good design and it doesn't fill me with confidence about the
longevity of the rest of the mechanism.

--
-blj-