Posted to comp.dcom.cabling,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.home.repair,alt.cable-tv,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default RG-6 QS, top brands?

In message , Ed Nielsen
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
years. I have found that, if it buzzes out OK at DC, it will

generally be
OK at RF.
Ian.

With all due respect, that's a rather frightening position to maintain.
I've had to replace both .750 and .500 because of dings. Complaints
were that certain channels were out. A couple of years ago I had to
replace a 4 foot piece of RG 6 inside a wall (splitter to outlet) that
had the attenuation of a 100 foot cable. 950MHz to 1450MHz worked
(though not near as well as it should have), but the rest of the
bandwidth up to 2200MHz didn't work at all. Electricians had greatly
exceeded the minimum bend radius when they made up the outlet.

DC does not necessarily mean that RF will work, nor does RF necessarily
mean that DC will work.

Ed, I'm sure what you say is true. However, one-off moderate mismatches
(or even repeated moderate mismatches which are buffered by
attenuation), such as might be caused by the use of poor quality
connectors, should not cause a failure of service unless the service
would have been marginal if the connectors were good.

As for bends in cable, if you can, tie a loose knot in a piece of coax,
run a wideband sweep through it, and observe the output. Now pull the
knot tight. Let me know when the output starts to be affected.

Let me say again, I'm not advocating sloppy practices and poor
workmanship. Manufacturers' specs and industry standards should always
be adhered to. This avoids endless truck-rolls (God - I hate that
Americanism!) to the 1% of customers where some bright spark has cut one
corner too many. But, especially in the amateur world, we should maybe
not worry too much about using things which industry has rejected, often
for reasons which have absolutely no impact on what we are trying to do.
So I'm NOT throwing out my stash of crimp and screw-on F-connectors!

Ian.