Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default SEER and power consumption

"Mr_Bill" writes:

Then the spec sheet says that the "R.L.A." for the compressor is
15.1A,
and the RLA for the fan is 2.8A. So the total RLA is 17.9A.

That's probably worst case conditions.

Now to my confusion. This is a 36kBTU unit rated at 19+SEER.
36000/19 = 1895watts or 8.6amps.

I expect SEER is based on some kind of expected operating conditions,
not worst case. Also, the compressor and fan motor are likely inductive
loads, so when the unit is drawing 1895 watts the current is larger
than 8.6 A, by a factor of 1 over the power factor.

So, when the compressor and fan are running (but not including any
starting
transients) how much current is being drawn?

Under what conditions?

Dave