Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes Remodeling

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:32:52 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:51:28 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"RML" wrote in message
m...
Any input on using Home Depot or Lowes for kitchen remodeling
(cabinets, counters etc.) and floor installation (laminate, 1000 sq.
ft.) vs. using local remodeling companies appreciated.

Pros and cons?

Before everyone and their brother flames you to death, recommend you do a
google search on 'lowes' and 'installation services'. The topic has been
beat to death on here repeatedly. Short version of the consensus is- it's
crapshoot. The big-boxes do NOT do any installations, they sub it out to
whatever local company is willing to work for what they will pay. So,
unless
you are utterly clueless about the work involved, it is probably cheaper
just hire the local guy directly yourself. Added caveat- the really good
guys are usually booked up far in advance, and have all the work they can
handle, and have no need to sub themselves out to the big-box places. So,
you may get good work, and you may not. You definitely want to get several
bids on any work upwards of a few hundred bucks.

aem sends....

Did I say something derogatory? Thread specific?

Oh, Chill, Oren- I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the usual
peanut gallery that pops up every time this question comes up, and calls
people idiots for even considering it.

aem sends...