Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr_Bill Mr_Bill is offline

Default SEER and power consumption

Perhaps somebody can explain for me how to reconcile air conditioner
SEER specs with current consumption specs.

I am looking at installing a Trane XL19i split system condenser
(compressor).
The spec sheet says to use branch circuit protection of 30A minimum
and 35A maximum. The spec also says to use wire of at least 22A
ampacity. This all seems reasonable so far.

Then the spec sheet says that the "R.L.A." for the compressor is
15.1A,
and the RLA for the fan is 2.8A. So the total RLA is 17.9A.

Now to my confusion. This is a 36kBTU unit rated at 19+SEER.
36000/19 = 1895watts or 8.6amps.

So, when the compressor and fan are running (but not including any
starting
transients) how much current is being drawn?

This is more or less an academic question. I intend to use a 30A
breaker and
8 ga. THWN which is 50A ampacity, but I'd like to know in advance
when
the unit is sitting there running, how many amps will I be drawing?

Grateful for any explanation.