Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

Arfa Daily wrote:

Thanks all. Very informative stuff. Sorry to cause the teeth sucking Dave
( don't do it too much - you might get mistaken for Gordon Brown and we
wouldn't want that ... ;~} ). I must admit that I've had my Halfords'
charger since I was a kid with my first Moggy Minor, and it's still going
strong. Haven't looked inside one for years, so I'll take your word for it
that we now have to charge brute force lead acid batteries with an
electronically controlled feather touch. But how does that stack up against
charging it on the vehicle with an alternator ? That hasn't got much more in
it than it ever had, has it ? Three phase bridge, pretty basic voltage
regulator, yes ?? Still fundamentally a brute force charging device, relying
on the battery to self smooth the charging voltage, without help from caps,
and to stop drawing charging current when it's had enough, much like in the
old days. There are plenty of 10 or more year old vehicles out there with
very conventional alternators on them. Is there supposedly an issue then,
when a new generation sealed maintenance free battery is fitted to one of
these cars ?

Arfa

I'm waiting to see the new cars with a 42 volt electrical system, and
how they handle starting in less than ideal situations.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida