Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Makita or Festool

On Apr 10, 4:03 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Apr 2007 08:59:47 -0700, "Neillarson"
wrote:

I really liked for the feel and balance, but, it is only a 9.6V

Fein kit is beautiffuly made, but their cordless drills are a couple of
years behind in terms of performance.

I'd probably go with the Makita. Not quite so beautiful as Festool kit,
but their build quality (UK market anyway) is good enough to deliver
hard service for several years.

Naturally you only buy a cordless tool these days that has a real, smart
charger.

Those Festool drills are nice. As much as I speak highly of their
sanders, $ 385.00 for a cordless drill is just nuts. There are Fein
tools which I think are worth the money too, but, again, a drill/
driver doesn't need a jewelled movement to perform.

I buy impact drivers that have a nice warranty and have adequate balls
to do the job...for cheap. Usually about 100 to 125 dollars Canadian.
5 year warranty, 2 batteries, smart-fast charger.
If I need a drill with balls, I have 1/2" Milwaukee hammerdrill that
will throw you off a scaffold if you're not careful. I pop 1-1/2 holes
in solid surface countertops with a carbide holesaw like it is made
from papier maché. It has a wire.

I use a lot of tools with cords. There is something satifying to the
fact that when I pull the trigger on my big Milwaukee drill, that a
dryer down the street will eat another sock.