Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly water feature

Andy Hall wrote:
Ideal in fact. Material cost not that high. Construction not that
difficult and once you know the key pieces like a solid framework easy
to produce good results.

Price expectation not particularly related to materials cost.

True enough. I can buy really good 28mm deck boards and treated sawn timber
from a local importer at really good prices

Seasonal but it does compensate for the £5 tap washers.

I don't do £5 tap washers :-) I will re washer taps, but my minimum charge
is £30 for the first half hour. Not that local plumbers will do it at all,
they can't be arsed so it seems.

Patios and decks need cleaning this time of year. Pressure washer
needs servicing. Trouble is that that costs more than buying new
one. However, as a trusted advisor you could sell them a nice PW
that they wouldnt otherwise buy.

I do the odd bit of patio cleaning and it's fairly profitable. The market
for selling HPC is highly price sensitive and highly competitive, so I'm not
really interested.

True enough, if I found a potential client wanting a good machine I could
earn a margin, but there is a perception problem peculiar to HPC's. A
jigsaw, for example can be bought for £20 and a really good one could cost
£100 - 5 times the price.

With HPC's you can buy one for £40 but a really good one would cost £500 -
over 12 times the price.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman