Posted to alt.home.repair
BETAC-T BETAC-T is offline

Default Cutting outlet holes in plaster/wood-lath walls.

Thanks everyone for all of the great ideas and suggestions. Since so many
people described the same kinds of issues I have been encountering, at least
I know it's not just me -- it's not a job with a known clear-cut easy
solution.

I have been cutting out the plaster first (by scribing it, etc.), and then
working on the wood lath. So, at least I have that part figured out. And,
I have been trying to work VERY slowly and VERY carefully, but it's still a
pain.

I looked up "Rotozip" because, to be honest, I didn't really know what that
was. Seems like it uses the "side-cutting" drill bit concept I had seen on
TV. And, I guess it has some types of small circular blades that may help
in cutting the laths. I'm definitely going to Home Depot, Lowe's etc. and
checking them out today.

There's a subject heading called "Rotozip: goodgawd..." that was posted in
this newsgroup on 04/09/2007 at 11:45 PM that has some additional info and
thoughts about Rotozips.

Yesterday, I started thinking there ought to be some kind of jig or clamp
that I could use (or invent) to clamp the lath tight while cutting it to
keep it from vibrating. I thought maybe there is a way to cut out the
plaster part (that's easy), then slip the clamping device between the space
between two laths, then tighten it down to clamp the laths from the back up
tight against a flat piece that is on the wall surface -- then cut the
laths. I didn't see any ready-made clamping devices that would do that, but
I'm sure someone here can come up with that invention. I am just surprised
that electrician's don't already have something like that that they use.
The best I could figure out for now was to try buying a 5-inch metal
90-degree angle brace. I don't know if that will work, but I'm going to see
if there is a way to use that to put through the space between two laths and
pull them tight from the back while cutting. Right now, I can't picture
that working in my mind. But, I'll bet there is something along those lines
that could be created or fashioned to do what is needed.

Thanks again to everyone.

"BETAC-T" wrote in message
. ..
I have an old house with wood lath and plaster walls, and I need to cut out
a lot holes in the walls for light switches, electrical outlet receptacles,