Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Rotozip: goodgawd...

I shoulda quit while I was ahead....

Yeah, but still the templates that are provided with the boxes themselves
are *not* router-type templates, cuz you need some sort of offset for
whatever the dimensional particulars of the tool at are.
And I'm talking a hard masonite-type template, not a paper template.

I've already conceded the utility of the zip for sheetrock, and a few other
specific tasks mentioned.
It is, essentially, a Dremel with muscle. Which can indeed be useful.

But not as infomercialed, with that 10:1 inflation ratio, volume and
otherwise.

And, try keeping track of all those bitty parts/pieces. I'm already missing
a bunch.

Inyone got a spare 1/4" collet--and the wrench?

Also, think of the original Circle marker: center nail, string, and chalk.
Butta-Bing, perfect circle.
You can use the same technique with the zip, with very accurate results.
And likely more conveniently.
The only downside with the string is that the zip will not be automatically
perpendicular to the 'rock, you must do that by eye/hand.
But given the non-critical nature of this aspect of the cut--roundness of
the circle is much more important--a string'n'nail ditty might be more
useful, overall.
But true, the circle cutting is useful, regardless of how you execute it.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message ...
Instead of all that crap, how bout a *usable* circle cutter, and
router-like TEMPLATES, dudes, for typical drywall cutouts--4,6" lighting
cutouts, 2x4, 4x4 boxes, octagonals, etc. In fact, a templete for
lighting cutouts would obviate the circle cutter, in large measure--uh
oh....
Nowhere, in the morass of of disjointed (and imo insulting) papers is
there even a mention of templates, that I could readily find.

See, now, PV? You've attacked the tool (for the purpose for which it was
intended) because you don't understand the job.

You don't need any templates in the kit. You _have_ templates of every
box you'll ever cut out _IN_the_house_ at the time of the job. A new set
of templates comes with every drywall job; they're called "outlet boxes".

The purpose of the RZ is to follow the exact shape of whatever's hiding
behind the rock, and cut a perfect hole exactly the right shape and size
for proper finishing of the wall. And it does that faster than you can
think, and it does it well.

Their circle cutter IS very usable -- in fact a pure joy to use. At
least the version that comes with the bottom-of-the-line kit is. I hung a
few dozen recessed fixtures for which there were no outlet boxes flush
with the ceiling. It took about an hour to mark out all the centers, and
about an hour to cut all the 5-1/4" holes.

LLoyd