Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sofie Sofie is offline

Default Use the chassis of a TV set (without picture tube) as a video souce

Michael:
Yes.... the 2pc VCR units were a good candidate to permanently separate.....
I did many like you did, and in addition, separated the VCR, added 12 V
power and A/V connectors so that it could be used without the turner and AC
power supply..... many customers used them for their RVs and trailers.
Most of these 2pc units, however, were old enough that their TV tuners were
not fully "cable ready" with all of the current cable channels so in today's
world, I use a cheap, discarded VCR that still powers up.... makes a decent
tuner with today's capabilities... but as you know, most of those older
tuners were more sensitive and usually worked better for fringe off-air
reception.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - -

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I like the old, separate TV tuners for the early portable VCRs. I've
converted two or three already. Basically, you remove the large cable
with that plugs in in place of the camera. Find the audio and video,
and mount a couple connectors on a plate to cover the hole where the
old cable was removed. Takes me 10-15 minutes to convert one. I left
one at a TV station as a spare off air demod. The video engineer like
it better than the $20,000 Tektronics system because it was a closer
match to what a typical home TV saw when it was fed to his monitors. He
used the Tektronics for quality measurements, but my converted equipment
for live shows.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida