Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Bevel up vs back bevel smoother

Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com

alexM,
If you're not already aware of this, Ron isn't some random spammer
trying to get more hits on his website - he's a well-respected plane
and plane-iron maker. You got some good advice. I won't add much to
the bevel advice, but I'll second the recommendation to get a good
aftermarket blade for your old Stanley - Ron Hock, Lee Valley, and Lie
Nielsen are the names that regularly come up for top-notch replacement
blades.
Also, I've had good luck smoothing figured woods with a card scraper
or cabinet scraper (needs some practice to sharpen, but very effective
once you get it tuned, and quite inexpensive). Additionally, I
recently bought an inexpensive "high angle smooth plane" like the Hong
Kong style sold by LV that works well on figured woods - basically
this has a steep blade angle with a super-fine mouth opening, and any
plane with that combination should theoretically do well on figured
wood.
Good luck,
Andy