Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Quality Toilet Cisterns

On 2007-04-10 17:14:39 +0100, Brian L Johnson said:

TheScullster wrote

Now looking at replacing rather than re-using old cistern for new Laufen
back to wall pan.
Need quality options for concealed shallow cistern to be boxed in.
Andy Hall has suggested Grohe.
Discovered Geberit on my travels this weekend.
Anyone else got recommendations please.
Ideally looking for dual flush remote push button operation.

My own experience with Grohe is not the best. How it compares with
other brands, I can't tell, because this is the only dual-flush that
I've had.

In the few months that I've had it, (a) it's 'locked'[1] twice and (b)
the 2-part push button thingy now has one of the parts protruding very
slightly more than the other.

Plus, the design of the flush buttons is counter-intuitive. With my
Grohe, there's a small button and a big button. The small button does a
big flush and the big button does a small flush.

Yes, you read that right!

I haven't had the problems of lock up, although I agree that the button
is counter-intuitive.

On one set of logic, one might expect a large button for a large flush
and a small one for a small flush.

One might even expect them to be labeled with the numbers '1' and '2'
to represent the normal "granny's doughnut in the greenhouse" UK
euphemism.

However, the product is Teutonic and the logic transcends British
sensibilities about sanitary installations. Remember that we don't
have inspection shelves in our ceramic products.

I called Grohe about this and to paraphrase, the response was as follows:

- The purpose of dual flush is to save water.

- For most purposes, a small flush is adequate. (Here they are
assuming that the quantity of UK number 1 exceeds quantity of UK number
2 bodily functions)

- Therefore, ergonomics and they objective dictates that the use should
be guided to use the flush option that will be used more often and
which will achieve the eco-objective.

Other Grohes in shops have been the same, but other makes are what I
would call the 'right' way round.

I wouldn't buy another one.

Footnote
--------
1. By 'locked' I mean that after a flush, it has just kept on slowly
flushing and slowly filling at the same time. I've had to remove the
panel and joggle the float mechanism to get it to stop.

Did you check for plastic flash on the flush mechanism mouldings?