Posted to uk.d-i-y
adder1969 adder1969 is offline

Default Cracks under windows

On Apr 10, 3:55 pm, Lobster wrote:
freepo wrote:
Two houses I have looked at (to buy) have had cracks under 2 or more
windows, and also above the windows.

What does this indicate and is it possible to fix? and how much could
it cost to fix?

One house I have pictured here, I have drawn the cracks on the
picture.
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5472/wall01awn5.jpg

IMHO the diagonal cracks above the windows are strongly indicative of
there being inadequate or failed lintels above the windows, ie the area
within the red 'triangles' has dropped slightly. They look like new uPVC
windows, am I right? It's quite possible that the house was built with
no lintels over the original windows, which could have had meaty enough
timber frames to support the brickwork... then along comes a cheapskate
window replacement company and bangs in flimsy plastic windows, and
guess what happens....

David

...or it's just that a couple of gorillas installed the windows,
damaging the lightweight brickwork arround the window. It's
impossible to find a window surround in my house where the plaster at
least hasn't cracked. I can't see the pics by the way as they're
blocked.