Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Home Standby Generator Advice

Thomas Horne wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:03�pm, "mg" wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:33 am, "boatdrinks" wrote:

I appreciate all of the information so far.
I agree with the sentiment regarding noise. I was thinking about the
generac quiet source line of generators. How loud is the Kohler at say
50% load? Does any one know much about the quiet source line of
generators from Generac?
My understanding on the NG is that in fact there are no lines where I
live, so we will basically have to go with a buried LP tank. �We will
ration anyway, probably just running the AC during the hottest times
of the day etc.
Unless you can get some definitive data indicating that one type of
generator is more reliable than the other, I would change your
priority list to make noise the most important criteria. Based on the
information below, it looks like the Kohler wins, except maybe in the
exercise mode. If the exercise mode noise is more important to you
than the regular operating mode, though, I would call Kohler and ask
them what their figures are for the exercise mode.

Kohler 12RESL/12RESM1
65 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/pd...al_gas_lp.html

Guardian QuietSource (Liquid Cooled)
20KW
72 db(A) at 7m (62 db(A) exercise mode)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...QuietSource/Li...

Guardian QuietSource (Air Cooled)
16KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (59 db(A) exercise mode)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...QuietSource/Qu...

Guardian
13KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pu...N7.10.13kW.pdf

Check CAREFULLY the LP consumption per hour running both at full and
half load, now whats your longest anticipated outage? If your going to
have a generator then you should plan on having enough LP for at least
a week, since deliveries will be impaired, and you dont want to run
out when you need it the most Realize your neighbors will appreciate
a extension cord, if its only for some lights. Then the noise wouldnt
bother them.

I keep 6 20 pound LP tanks in my shed for a variety of uses they empty
fast. I think you will exhaust a 500 lb tank with say 400 pounds of
actual fuel fast.

I have a realtive living close to the beach, he has central air but
keeps a small window AC on hand for emergencies to minimize fuel needs
and generator size. Do check with on local ordinaces about LP storage.

Remember the LP the local company sells comes from a wholesaler by
truck or railroad, a bad huricane may interrupt deliveries to your
local dealer, and in a emergency everyone using LP will be looking to
top off their tanks Futhering the shortage........

My fire stations 80 KVA propane fueled generator ran for four days
before going through the first 300 gallons of propane. It is admittedly
rather lightly loaded.
--
Tom Horne

300 gal LP would be something like 1,200# I think. The OPs hypothetical
500# tank would be about 120 gal. With a smaller home type generator
under typical home loading he might get 2 days operation at best from
the 500# tank.

Pete C.