Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default how much storage weight can my trussed roof support?

Rob Horton wrote:

I have a house that was built in 1984. The roof trusses are
constructed from wood that is 34mm (1 3/8") by 95mm (3 3/4"). I have
no idea what the rating of the wood is. Each truss is spaced about
600mm (centre to centre) apart. The ceiling joist part of the truss
spans 7.2 metres. Some of the wood has been spliced together using
what looks like perforated metal sheets banged into each side of the
wooden beams. The roof trusses are of a W type, fink, construction.

I want to partly board the roof area using Knauf spaceboard (chipboard
with polyfoam insulation underneath) so that It can be effectively
used for storage.

Where can I find information about the load carrying capacity for my
roof space? Something like kg/m2?

Thanks.

Are the ceiling joists unsupported for the whole 7.2 metres - or are there
intermediate stud walls which give additional support?
--
Cheers,
Roger