Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
n cook n cook is offline

Default Repairing mylar cable?

John E. wrote in message
obal.net...
Cable was damaged by melting several (6) traces worth of conductors. It's
part of an expensive controller assembly for which no individual

replacement
parts such as this are available. Terminated end is under membrane switch
panel which is affixed to the front of the controller. Disassembly to

reach
the other end of the cable would be near-destructive.

So I'm resolved to fix it. The best approach I can think of is to scrape

away
the light protective coating over the conductors (which aren't copper PC,

but
some painted-on conductive substance) but not scrape too deeply (I've

found
by experimenting that this is Not Good )c: ) and affix 30 ga wires via
conductive epoxy, bridging the damage.

I dread this approach because of the fine pitch of the conductors, and not
knowing until I've finished each patch whether 1) there remains enough
conductor to patch and 2) the epoxy "took".

There is about 1 inch undamaged conductor on either side of the damage to
effect a connection, so if any one attempt at bridging a conductor fails I
can attempt another, if need be.

It's going to be rough going, I fear.

Any other suggestions? Maybe find source for this type of cable and graft

it
to the existing one?

Sources for these cables?

Thanks,
--
John English

Bare back to conductors , cover whole area with silver loaded paint and when
cured score lines with ruler and scalpel , pairs of close lines and scrape
off the areas between lines with a slightly blunt needle against ruler.
You need a magnifier lamp and check with a DVM before and after the process.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England