Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

James Sweet wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I have never looked at the specs on the electrical system on a bike.
Years ago any car starter that drew over 70 amps, no load was considered
defective. That's why I asked.

Well yeah, 70 amps no-load is a huge draw. Hundreds of amps under load
is not uncommon though. Big difference.

I could test a car starter on my electronics bench at one time. The
adjustable, regulated DC bench supply would put out over 75 amps
continuous, and 95 amps short term. I used to rebuild my starters and
alternators. Less than $10 in parts, and a half hour, and I was back in
business. Brushes or bearings were cheap and easy to replace. Open
windings meant that the unit was scrap.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell