Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

David Brodbeck wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
When I was a kid my dad had a Ford station wagon. It went through
starters like crazy, and was hard to start. He went to a junkyard and
bought a 6 volt starter and battery cables for a few bucks. He put them
in the 12 volt Ford station wagon. After that, it only took one try to
start it because it turned over much faster.

I've heard this is a common hack for Wankel engine conversions on VW
Beetles. A stock VW starter won't crank a Wankel fast enough to fire.
But if you run a 6 volt starter off 12 volts, it will.

I never worked on VWs, but I have a neighbor and a friend who are VW
fanatics. I preferred mid '60s Pontiacs, and I always kept the shop's
service trucks on the road. From a Corvair van, all the way to a Chevy
step van. There was even a 53 Ford panel truck at one shop.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida