Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

David Brodbeck wrote:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"David Brodbeck" wrote in message
t...

Had one explode on a travel trailer once, too. The battery was in a
plastic battery box on the front A-frame and had been on trickle charge
for about three months. This was in the middle of winter. It threw
shrapnel a foot or two on either side.

Froze up?

Probably. To say that the battery chargers in RV power converters are
often poorly designed would be, perhaps, too kind.

All of the RV power converters I've had were nothing more than the
transformer, a pair of diodes and a power switch. The were intended to
run 12 VDC motors and lights, so they had no filter capacitors They
were not intended to charge a battery.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell