Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Reversing Attic Fan Motor Direction Possible?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:55:18 -0600, Rick Blaine
wrote:

"Joe" wrote:

Does this indicate that this motor cannot reverse direction?

In the dusty recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that electric motors are
wound to run CW or CCW. My guess would be no, you can't.

There are reversible fan motors. I used to have a 21" box fan that
had one. Don't know how common they are, or in this size.

But it would have an extra wire. And there is an extra wire, but you
think that is for the other speed. If you're not positive, it
wouldn't take long to connect it instead and find out.

However, have you considered flipping the fan blade over?

Strangely, that wouldn't change anything, but turning the whole motor
over would. Would it be safe to run that way? You'd probably have to
build a bigger shield and screen.