Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Leaking silcock

"Amol" wrote in message
ps.com...
Not knowing how it works...as a new home owner I twisted the knob on
the silcock (its the one with a circular plasticky knob that needs to
be rotated counterclockwise) a bit too hard and I cracked the knob.
Last summer I replaced the knob but now its worse...there is water
gushing out from everywhere. My internal shutoff is quite a walk and
I need this working properly this summer/spring to water my backyard
properly. I hate 'the long walk' and the wastage of water and also
that the water spills on my deck that I had stained last fall.

Somewhere on the net I read that I would need a soldering gun if I
were to replace the whole assembly and that it would be a mess...I
need some guidance/reassurance if it is DIY project or not and is the
fix a simple washer and TFE tape or the whole replacement (I prefert
this not to be the problem).

Thanks,

I have a rule of thumb on my place, if I have to futz with a valve, I
replace it with a ball valve.

Valves with washers always require maintenance futzing with packing and
washers is not my idea of fun.

What kind of pipe do you have? And what kind of connection do you have
between the sillcock and the pipe?

If you do not know, then perhaps if you make a careful sketch or take a
digital photograph of your valve to a good hardware store they can guide you
to the best way to fix it.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.