Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
Coyoteboy Coyoteboy is offline

Default PCB UV Box - Follow Up

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
I don't work my ass off contributing my tax pounds to fund them for
nothing,

I dont wish to throw a spanner in the works but your tax pounds have very
little to do with UK universities these days. The vast majority of
undergraduate student funding is done by a)charging foreign students extra
(at least £11K per year, more depending on the course) to cover the loss
left over from only b)charging the home students 3K a year. Most university
equipment is funded through industrially linked research (and industrial
donations), which has to be fully economically costed, meaning all projects
have to be run as a business would including all costs inc office space,
technician time etc counted and charged to the project account - so they
cannot be considered to have an unfair advantage over industry. Research
council grants form a percentage of the money given to universities, but
only generally cover postgraduate projects which have to be fully justified
and peer reviewed before acceptance. And even they are sponsored by
industry. If a group does not pull in funding for a year or two it is
effectively canned.

Uni's arent the public tax black hole they used to be, which is WHY they
have been forced (against their will, trust me) to create "micky mouse"
degrees which pull in people who will pay to do a course which takes little
supervision and still generates the same cash per head. To have purely
"useful" degrees for the small minority who can acheive them through skill
and interest, as opposed to just taking it as a way to muck about for 3
years, is not financially viable - that target market is too small and could
not collectively afford the actual cost of their tuition. If you want them
to drop their "micky mouse" degrees then you WILL pay for it in taxes!