Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk is offline

Default Need help- Induction cooktop

chloe5susan wrote:
I need help with info about induction cooktops.

snip
Thanks for ANY help you can send my way.

Hi Susan,
we have had an Induction hob for about 12 months now.
Benefits include being really easy to clean if pan boils over when you
are distracted waiting for it to boil, also they are pretty cool to the
touch once the pan is removed so much safer if you have small
children/grand children in the house.

They heat up pans of water in double quick time. Ours has a "power"
button that allows one plate of a pair to use the power from both
cooking areas to deliver even faster heat-up times.

We don't do a lot of frying or wok cooking etc, mainly heating up and
simmering liquids etc. temperature control of the "rings/plates" is very
easy as on ours once you have the correct temp you hit the "C" button
and the temperature is automatically held with a rapid on/off cycling of
the power. Because there is very little residual heat in the hob top and
the induction energy heats the pan very quickly this is very effective
but it is still an on/off/on/off electrical hob control rather than the
infinitely variable control gas gives.

Cooking a Christmas dinner with all 4 induction rings on the go
presented no problems.

As Peter pointed out though, it very much depends on your style of
cooking as to whether it would be better than Gas. I would say it's
hugely better than traditional and more modern (halogen etc.)
electricity hobs but It will never replace gas especially if you lots of
pan-moving style of cooking.

Hope this helps a little.
Cheers
Pete