Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Need help- Induction cooktop

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 21:01:09 +0100, chloe5susan
wrote:

I need help with info about induction cooktops.

I am from US(Indiana) Induction cooking is very new for us over here.
We are getting ready to do a kitchen remodel. I love a electric flat
glass cooktop( easy clean up) but want to have gas for better control
so they showed me the new Induction cook top.

I've used an induction hob but not owned one. Based on a few days
use I wouldn't be inclined to ever replace my gas hob with an
induction one.

The owner liked it a lot - but their food preparation was mainly
warming things up rather than real cooking so non moving iron pans
boiling gently for 30 minutes suited them well.

I found having to use iron a pain and probably the single most
important reason I wouldn't want one. Most cast iron pans are too
heavy to move properly and thinner ones heat unevenly (despite what
the sales toad says) and lack the heat conduction of aluminium. A
traditional steel wok simply didn't work at all well.

Control wasn't as good as the manufacturers make out as you can't
easily achieve fine control of heat by varying height above the
burner. Trying to caramelise sugar on one was an exercise in
futility but good practice in cleaning carbon off pans.

Overall, nice for people who value fashion over function but not for
people who like cooking. Not a substitute for a good gas hob at all.

The least you should do is try one for real with the style of cooking
you like before committing to it. Despite what your salesman said
they are not all that popular in the UK, especially amongst cooks,
although they have been around for some time.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/