Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

Default Home Standby Generator Advice

On Apr 9, 9:33 am, "boatdrinks" wrote:
I appreciate all of the information so far.

I agree with the sentiment regarding noise. I was thinking about the
generac quiet source line of generators. How loud is the Kohler at say
50% load? Does any one know much about the quiet source line of
generators from Generac?

My understanding on the NG is that in fact there are no lines where I
live, so we will basically have to go with a buried LP tank. We will
ration anyway, probably just running the AC during the hottest times
of the day etc.

Unless you can get some definitive data indicating that one type of
generator is more reliable than the other, I would change your
priority list to make noise the most important criteria. Based on the
information below, it looks like the Kohler wins, except maybe in the
exercise mode. If the exercise mode noise is more important to you
than the regular operating mode, though, I would call Kohler and ask
them what their figures are for the exercise mode.

Kohler 12RESL/12RESM1
65 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/pdfs/g4110.pdf
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/re...al_gas_lp.html

Guardian QuietSource (Liquid Cooled)
20KW
72 db(A) at 7m (62 db(A) exercise mode)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...uidCooled.aspx

Guardian QuietSource (Air Cooled)
16KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (59 db(A) exercise mode)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...ource16kW.aspx

Guardian
13KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pu...N7.10.13kW.pdf