Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Brodbeck David Brodbeck is offline

Default Question about Auto batteries

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
BTW, have you ever seen the damage done to a vehicle when a car
battery explodes and sprays acid all over the engine compartment? I've
seen several, here in Central Florida. One exploded while parked in the
hot sun, and hadn't been used in over 8 hours.

My car obviously had a battery explosion, or at least a severe boil-over
at some point in its life. The paint is gone off the front bumper cover
in a spatter pattern in front of the battery area, and the battery tray
itself is nearly rusted out in spite of the rest of the car being rust-free.

Had one explode on a travel trailer once, too. The battery was in a
plastic battery box on the front A-frame and had been on trickle charge
for about three months. This was in the middle of winter. It threw
shrapnel a foot or two on either side.