Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveC DaveC is offline

Default Question about Auto batteries

1. What about the average output current? What's the common output
current(A) for a 12V car battery? How come they don't label the
current output on these car batteries?

They are rated with current output. Current is described in Amps. CCA is
cold-cranking Amps. There is no "average" current. If you want to light a
small 12v bulb with a battery, you'll get a few tenths of an amp output. If
you want to crank an engine's starting motor, you'll get a few tens or
hundred of amps, depending on the motor. The battery will supply a trickle or
a flood of current depending on what you connect to it. That's true of all
batteries and why you have to be careful what you connect to one.

2. If I have a jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire with current
rating of 10A. What happen if I connect the jumper cable to a battery
gives 13A output current?

If the cable is too small for the current you need to supply, it will
probably get warm (or hot!) and the voltage will drop below 12 volts. It's
always best to use a cable that's bigger than required for the job.

3. Similar to question 2, if the cranking ampere is 540, will anything
bad happen to jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire?

See answer #2.

Thank you,

You're welcome.
--