Posted to rec.woodworking
Nahmie Nahmie is offline

Default What happened to plywood quality?

On Apr 7, 11:01 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Mike Hartigan wrote:

Where can I get something more like the old stuff without
spending upwards of $100/sheet?

Can't comment on price or availability in your area, but here is SoCal
there are several plywood distributors who specialize in sheet goods.

It is priced by the square foot, they have minimum billing, and they
pick out the material. (A full sheet covers the minimum)

When I need plywood, one of them gets my order.

Last time I was there, they were shipping an order of curved plywood to
New Zealand.

You may have similar suppliers in your area.

Life is too short to put up with garbage plywood from the big box
operations.

IMHO, material cost is only a modest part of the over all cost of a project.

I don't charge myself for my time; however, the "frustration fee" for
being forced to salvage crappy materials is VERY LARGE.grin

Lew

Lew, it's been quite a while, I'm just getting back to the group a
little . . . .but I seem to recall(perhaps erroneously) that you make
some of your projects from "dumpster diving" materials. Seems that
would make the "frustration fee" waaaaaayyy up there.

Nahmie