Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Want longer cord for Delta TS

Greg O wrote:
"Pop`" wrote in message
news:ieaSh.296$ok6.274@trnddc07...
Greg O wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing
a 14 gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for
25 feet. Greg

At 220, that's only 7.5A per wire; NOT much of a problem. YOu're
mostly right, but for the wrong reasons.

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run. Greg

Hmm, OK, I see what you're at. I assumed the OP was a North American
residential, meaning opposing phases of the 110 make up the 220 and thus
each hot carries half of the total current rating. In the UK and other
places, their 240 is indeed going to carry all the current of the rating
since there is only one "hot" conductor plus the neutral.
But at the same time, 240 @ xx Amps, well, that's a different story.
Since the OP stated 220 and 15A, which is how NA power is stated, I suspect
he is in NA. But, your point is taken and valid if he's in a different
country.

Pop`