Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Staining Maple Cabinets

"Eric" wrote in message
news

"storiesr" u33171@uwe wrote in message news:706b0ccc3cf50@uwe...
Desperately need some solid advice. We purchased some unfinished maple
cabinet doors and drawers (fronts only) for our kitchen remodel.
Have tried way too many options for staining with no success at all.

1. Water based raises the grain too much; why sand all over again when
they
came nice and smooth?

Any stain you put on will raise the grain, wood is not sealed yet. YOu
will need to sand smooth after your first coat of what ever you put on.

2. Penetrating stains will not penetrate.3

Nope to hard and tight of grain

3. Am told that I should not condiiton it.

I would seal it with shellac(sp)

4. Wiping stain will only penetrate if I weave it sit for close to an
hour
and then it is gumming whenI remove it.

Junk don;t use it

5. Last resort: Tried a polyshade and it raises grain as well.

Poly is junk also. i would stay away.

Anyone have any suggestions. This maple is so dense that it does not
want to
take anything. When I inquired at plant that made the doors they say
they
have never had this complaint before.

I am getting very frustated.

What are you trying to do. I like the look of natural maple, why would
you want to change it?

Because He isnt planning on using it in your kitchen!!! WTF?

eric

There must be a sealer of some kind on these doors and drawers. take
them back to the plant and have them show you how to finish it