Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

In article om,
okbran wrote:
Hi,
I don't know much about batteries and I am simply curious about the
regular 12V car battery.
Everytime I go to the store, I see all these batteries labeled with
number of Cold Crankcing Ampere or Cranking Ampere, etc. I understand
the definition of CCA and CA but,
My question is:
1. What about the average output current? What's the common output
current(A) for a 12V car battery? How come they don't label the
current output on these car batteries?

There is no 'average' output current - the current depends on the load
which will vary according to what electrics are in use. But of course with
the engine running the alternator supplies all the current needed for
pretty well all the time.

However, the other figure given with batteries is the capacity in
amp/hours. Since this is measured over a constant time regardless of
actual capacity means the current drawn during measurement will vary.

2. If I have a jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire with current
rating of 10A. What happen if I connect the jumper cable to a battery
gives 13A output current?

Same as with any other power source - if the cable is too small it will
allow too much voltage drop at best and at worse burn out.

3. Similar to question 2, if the cranking ampere is 540, will anything
bad happen to jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire?

Yes. See above. You need to use cable rated at the maximum current you're
going to draw.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW