Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about Auto batteries

On 9 Apr, 04:54, "okbran" wrote:

Hi,
I don't know much about batteries and I am simply curious about the
regular 12V car battery.
Everytime I go to the store, I see all these batteries labeled with
number of Cold Crankcing Ampere or Cranking Ampere, etc. I understand
the definition of CCA and CA but,
My question is:
1. What about the average output current? What's the common output
current(A) for a 12V car battery?

current draw depends almost entirely on the load

How come they don't label the
current output on these car batteries?
2. If I have a jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire with current
rating of 10A. What happen if I connect the jumper cable to a battery
gives 13A output current?

then 13A flows thru the cables, presumably. Nothing else happens,
cables have a fair amount of margin in their ratings. If you ran 130A
through it it'd melt.

3. Similar to question 2, if the cranking ampere is 540, will anything
bad happen to jumper cable made of 16AWG copper wire?
I would really appreciate your feedback.
Thank you,

NT