Posted to alt.home.repair
storiesr storiesr is offline

Default Staining Maple Cabinets

Desperately need some solid advice. We purchased some unfinished maple
cabinet doors and drawers (fronts only) for our kitchen remodel.
Have tried way too many options for staining with no success at all.

1. Water based raises the grain too much; why sand all over again when they
came nice and smooth?
2. Penetrating stains will not penetrate.
3. Am told that I should not condiiton it.
4. Wiping stain will only penetrate if I weave it sit for close to an hour
and then it is gumming whenI remove it.
5. Last resort: Tried a polyshade and it raises grain as well.

Anyone have any suggestions. This maple is so dense that it does not want to
take anything. When I inquired at plant that made the doors they say they
have never had this complaint before.

I am getting very frustated.