Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Crow Berry Crow Berry is offline

Default amplified speakers

Good Day,

I accidently wrecked my amplified speakers by reversing the polarity
from the battery. It is a fairly inexpensive set from radio shack
with a sub woofer and two small "towers" . I still get a very quiet
sound reproduction as well as a buzz from the speakers, but nothing
from the sub woofer. I took it apart and it has a small circuit
board with a bunch of capacitors, etc on it as well as two amplifier
IC's. I read about someone fixing something like this by replacing
the amplifier chip so I replaced them both........a learning
experience. Anyhow, it made no difference. Now I noticed there is a
zener diode in the circuit right where the power comes in. Could
this get fried by giving it the opposite polarity? Any suggestions as
to how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. I have
already invested more time than the darn thing is worth, but I still
want to try to repair it.
Brett