Posted to alt.home.repair
anthony anthony is offline

Default Electrician needed

On Apr 8, 12:26 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr2007 17:09:04 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"anthony" wrote in message
oups.com...
I took down an old fixture in the kitchen that had a globe and was
hanging by a chain. I bought something similiar and was reading the
instructions, although I was just going to do it, until a part in the
instruction that took me for a loop. It has 2 wires and a very thin
copper wire, obviously a ground. It takes a 60w bulb max, but I plan
on getting one of those energy type of bulb that is low in wattage,
but bright as a 100w bulb. Is that okay? The other problem is the old
ceiling fixture does not show a ground, nor does the switch. So how
does one know? It is on other circuit for various part of the house,
( neat eh? ) and naturally has a circuit breaker. When I check the 2
wires that are in the ceiling i get no reaction. ..but when I go to
the switch on the wall that handles this, I do. How does one know when
the ceiling wires are safe to handle?

Wet both pointer fingers. Touch both wires at the same time. If you stay
on the ladder, it's safe.

Steve, you are going to kill someone some day. Bad enough to get a
shock, but one that goes from one arm to the other is the worst (goes
past or through the heart)

Wet fingers are a bad idea.

You ought to know how ignorant some of the posters, and readers, are.

That must be why you don't use your last name.

At least that's the way my brother-in-law does it.

Steve

Steve, there is a troll in every forum...fortunately, I am not one of
those dumb ones.