Posted to alt.home.repair
Unrevealed Source Unrevealed Source is offline

Default Home Standby Generator Advice

I researched quite a bit before I settled on the Kohler 12k. It's a very
nice unit, extremely reliable, and about as quiet as they get. I would buy
it again and it's the one I recommend to people.

Are you saying that there are no natural gas lines in the area, or that you
just don't have it run to your house? I didn't have natural gas and ran on
propane, but had NG run to my house just so I could run my generator.
You'll go through a 500 gallon tank of propane pretty quickly if there's an
extended outage. If you can't get NG, you might want to consider a bigger
tank than 500. Whatever the size, be prepared to ration your energy use; I
wouldn't count on reliable delivery of propane in the event of a major
disaster.

"boatdrinks" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read a number of the previous posts, but I still have some
questions.

Based on my understanding of my likely power needs, I will likely need
a 12-16kW generator. I live in South Florida, so I will need to run at
least one central AC and because there are no natural gas lines all
appliances including cooktop and water heater are electric.I plan on
installing a 500 gallon underground LP tank to run whatever I get.

1) Which one should I get?
There are three standby generators that I am looking at:

Kohler 12kW
Generac Quiet Source 16kW
Briggs and Straton 15kW

Could I get some feedback on which one folks would recommend.
Reliability is most important, obviously. Second is noise and finally
efficiency.

2) During the post-Hurricane period, I have heard that LP companies
use vehicles that run on LP gas, so deliveries should not be a
problem. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your advice.