Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default What sets vacuums apart?

murph1012 wrote:

HEPA filters make the difference, the bigger the better and the more
expensive, and 4 stages of filtration means that the vacuum will keep
sucking at maximum cfm for a longer period.

Then look at the Dyson. We have a DC-14 animal. It's an upright vacuum
clean that is designed to suck up animal hair and dander and NOT return
it. It also comes with a special unit that looks like a small upright
vacuum for for doing furniture.

It works very well, is very strong (about 1500 watts), does not use bags,
and comes apart easily to clean or remove obstructions. The only tool I've
needed in over a year was a coin to open the carpet/floor brush on the
bottom to remove junk that had collected there.

The other parts where things have gotten stuck, including a disposable
plastic knife and many Legos, have come off with a push of a button.

It empties by pusing a button which allows you to lift off the collection
container. You put it over a trash can and push another button. Two or
three times it has gotten long things, such as string etc caught in it
and I had to reach in an pull them out. The collection unit when placed
over a trash can is far away from anything that moves, so although I
was careful, is very safe.

The time we got the knife stuck in it, it got caught in a bend. We noticed
it because the motor shut off. I unplugged it, removed the bends until I
found the knife, cleaned it out and let it sit for a while. No damage.

If for some reason I were to move back to the U.S., I would have 240 volt
outlets installed so I could take it with me. I know they are sold in the
U.S. (Costco has a "cheaper" version made for them by Dyson), but still....

BTW the other thing I would want to bring with me is my Kenwood mixer.
It makes a Kitchen Aide look like underpowered cheap junk.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/