Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
john jardine john jardine is offline

Default PCB UV Box - Follow Up

"Aly" wrote in message
"john jardine" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hey John :-)

Perked up again this end. Must be something to do with Clint and his

taxes.
:-)

Back on track.. Reading.. Those Maplin tubes I believe to be 8W 12" T5

UV
tubes. Two for £15 odd, Maplin YA39N. About the same at Rapid, 34-0707.

These are what I'm looking at on eBay which I believe to be the same at
£4.50ea.;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320101581708

Out local shop for local people is charging... £5.84ea. although I'm not
sure if they'll allow local pickup. I much prefer picking up locally.

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=1037

I'm swaying towards thick perspex maybe, although have found that picture
framers are the ones to talk to about non-UV glass and offcuts. 4mm is a
minimum.

One of my electronic friends has mentioned banding caused by the intense

UV
light in the area closest to the tubes, and is suggesting the £200 UV box
from Rapid, 34-0705 ;

http://www.rapidonline.com/searchres...e=0&kw=34-0705

I just want to build one really. Spending £200 goes against why I even do
any of this. I do it for fun :-)

The bits I can source at no cost; IDC, switch, ballast, starters. The
outlay will be the flight case, say £20. The tubes, say £20. Glass, say

£5
odd. So give or take £50 for a decent little box.

:-)

Aly

Tell your electronics friend to go ********. Banding or shadowing occurs
when a tube fails. I.e when the dark end of a big PCB is seeing maybe 1/5 of
the UV at the bright end. And isn't it amazing how people always know they
will be safe from risk and critism by recommending expensive commercial
product as an 'answer' to any technical question?

My ISP for some reason will not let me use Google, so will check the links
tomorrow.
They look useful as I'm after half a dozen UV tubes for a metal
photo-etching light box I'm thinking about. A fiver or so each seems
reasonable, after all they're just standard tubes with a modified coating.
Perspex, 4mm glass, both OK. Maybe even better is the double glazing
acrylic sheet sold by Wickes B+Q etc. The stuff is designed not to
discolour from the UV in sunlight. The plastics have to be cut though and
it's maybe easier just to call into the local glass shop and have them cut a
piece to size for a couple of quid.

But yes. I love to see a good heartfelt rant!. Nowadays, seemingly becoming
a British cultural pastime.