Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default PCB UV Box - Follow Up

In message , Aly
writes
Hello,

Hi,
Where I have my nails done they use one of the little UV boxes. They're
here on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180104409706

Now what I'm wondering is. Would one of those do the job? Or more to the
point, would it be cost effective to strip one down and use the parts.

Hell yes, that looks fine. As long as you're happy to muck about with
the mains cabling then go ahead. If you have doubts about suitability,
ask your local nail bar nicely if you can try theirs out! Bear in mind
the shipping charge though, you can probably buy a ballast, lamps and
fittings for less than the total and be guaranteed that you got the
right thing.

Thereafter ALL you need is an enclosure and some perspex. Also today it's
become clear regarding 4mm glass that suppliers either only stock
UV-blocking glass, or don't even know at all.

Visit your local DIY shed, take a pen and paper, write down the
manufacturer name on the perspex/polycarbonate/polystyrene sheets, track
them down on t'internet and ask them... alternatively, ask your local
glass supplier for some offcuts and do some experimentation with
exposure (making sure not to get arrested in the process) Once you've
finished exposing yourself, go home and try the glass you just got, make
sure you mark the glass with the type first. Try a piece of photoresist
PCB with a sliver of each type of glass and an uncovered section all at
once so you can compare. Give it, say, 30 seconds and you should be able
to tell the difference.
No one knows what they're
selling anymore or even cares!! This is the UK, it's a dump full of under
achievers and everyone has a degree in Travel & Tourism or Marketing,
everyone else is on state benefits.

See my other reply.

Seriously though, you can make a nice UV box out of a cheap toolbox or
electric drill carry case if you have a mind to.. Alternatively you
could try eBay (yeah, 'cause you'll get a bargain there...) or even your
local freecycle, they seem to be full of academic/student types and may
know of an electronics department with a spare lying around that can be
acquired.
--
Clint Sharp