Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor Chuck Taylor is offline

Default Want longer cord for Delta TS

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:12:06 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

Charley wrote:
A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full
load, which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the
starting current of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load
current, so a 14 ga wire is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for
wire that will carry more than 25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right
choice for a relatively short cable, but you should go to an 8 ga
wire if the full length of the wire from the breaker panel to the saw
will be longer than about 100 feet.

You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line, is
split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez, a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is way off.

To fireant: If you have any question which of the above replies is
more "all wet", by all means find and ask a local licensed
electrician. The probability of gleaning coherent, accurate
electrical advice from this thread has officially begun its dive
toward zero.

To power my 220V machines, including my 3 HP Unisaw, I use a 25'
extension cord made from 10-2 w/ground.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/